Prepared in simply 10 minutes, these blackened scallops are sautéed and full of spicy taste. Accompanied with a candy honey butter, these scallops are scrumptious served over pumpkin puree, polenta or rice.
Why I like this recipe
These blackened scallops are a scrumptious meal any day of the week. They’re prepared in simply 10 minutes and are loaded with taste from the blackened spice mix and honey butter.
Blackening meals entails coating them with a particular spice mix that always contains spices and herbs akin to smoked paprika, cayenne, garlic powder, thyme, and oregano. The dough turns a really darkish brown or nearly black shade when cooked, which contributes to an intense taste and considerably crunchy texture.
I like making my very own blackening spice combine as a result of it is really easy to make with spices you in all probability have already got readily available, plus you possibly can alter the spice stage to your liking.
This blackening spice mix is smoky, a bit of spicy, and completely balanced with the sweetness of honey butter.
I wish to serve blackened scallops over pumpkin puree, polenta, or rice, however the choices are infinite!
Oh, and did I point out these scallops are prepared in simply 10 minutes? Sure please!
Elements you will want
Notes on elements
scallops: Scallops have a candy, buttery taste with a young, barely chewy texture. They’re a kind of mollusk, much like clams, mussels and oysters. The scallops are excessive in protein, low in fats and gives a number of nutritional vitamins and minerals akin to zinc, selenium, B12, copper and omega-3 fatty acids.
smoked paprika: It offers a smoky and woody taste with spicy and candy touches.
Cayenne pepper: add some warmth! You may add roughly relying in your spice desire.
garlic and onion powder: add layers of taste to the spice combine
thyme: This fragrant herb gives a refined minty, candy and spicy taste
oregano: offers a daring and spicy taste
brown sugar: gives a refined sweetness to assist stability the spice stage
salt and pepper: important taste enhancers
olive oil: It’s used to cowl the pan and sear the scallops.
butter: fragrant taste enhancer that acts as a base for honey butter
Honey: It brings some sweetness to the honey butter that completely balances the blackened spices
Tools you will want (affiliate hyperlinks – for those who make a purchase order, I obtain a small fee)
The best way to make blackened scallops
- Mix the spices. Whisk smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, thyme, oregano, cayenne, brown sugar, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Pat dry and canopy the scallops. Pat the scallops dry, take away the facet muscle groups if they’re nonetheless connected, and sprinkle the blackened seasoning on all sides of the scallops.
- Cook dinner the scallops. Warmth olive oil in a nonstick skillet or forged iron skillet over medium-high warmth and cook dinner the scallops, leaving 1 inch of area between them, for two minutes. Flip the scallops and cook dinner till golden brown and opaque sides, about 2-3 minutes extra.
- Put together honey butter. Place the butter and honey in a small bowl and microwave till melted, about 30 seconds, then whisk to mix.
- Attend. Serve the blackened scallops over winter squash puree, polenta, grits, or rice and drizzle honey butter on prime.
Scallops cook dinner rapidly so control them till they flip golden brown and all sides are opaque. You wish to stop the scallops from overcooking as this dries them out and makes them chewier.
You’ll want to pat the scallops dry earlier than making use of the blackened spices. Absorbing extra moisture will assist the blackened batter follow the scallops and crisp up as they cook dinner.
What to serve with blackened scallops?
Blackened scallops are fairly versatile and pair effectively with quite a lot of accompaniments. I wish to serve them with pumpkin puree, mashed potatoes, polenta, semolina, risotto or rice. Any of those can be an excellent choice to benefit from the scrumptious honey butter sauce.
What’s the secret to cooking scallops?
Scallops ought to be cooked rapidly over medium to excessive warmth. I normally place the scallops about 1 inch aside and cook dinner them undisturbed for about 2 minutes. After that, they need to flip simply (if not, they want extra cooking time) and cook dinner 2-3 minutes extra till golden brown and opaque sides. Watch out to not overcook them as they may dry out and turn out to be very chewy.
Can I make blackened scallops forward of time?
Scallops are greatest cooked simply earlier than serving, and since they cook dinner so rapidly, they make an excellent meal any day of the week. Nonetheless, the blackened seasoning might be made forward and saved in an hermetic container at room temperature.
Typically I wish to make a bigger batch of blackened seasoning to have readily available and use on rooster or fish once we crave that intense taste.
Storage and preparation
Leftover blackened scallops might be saved in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 3 days.
The blackened seasoning might be made forward and saved in an hermetic container at room temperature.
Recipes that mix effectively
For extra blackened meals inspiration, take a look at my different recipes beneath!
For those who like this recipe, You’ll want to remark and provides it a 5 star ranking beneath. For those who do, share it on Instagram and tag me @karalydonrd And I’ll share it once more with my followers! If you wish to save this recipe for later, make sure to Pin it on Pinterest!
By no means miss a recipe! Subscribe to obtain my month-to-month publication with a abstract of recipes from the earlier month and Get my FREE information while you join: Rediscover the enjoyment of consuming: 5 straightforward steps to cease stressing about meals and revel in each chew
Prepared in simply 10 minutes, these blackened scallops are sautéed and full of spicy taste. Topped with candy honey butter, serve over pumpkin puree, polenta or rice.
- 2 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon Dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound of scallops
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- In a small bowl, whisk collectively the smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, thyme, oregano, cayenne, brown sugar, salt, and pepper till mixed.
- Pat the scallops dry, take away the facet muscle groups if they’re nonetheless connected, and sprinkle the blackened seasoning on all sides of the scallops.
- Working in two batches, warmth 1 tablespoon olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high warmth. Cook dinner scallops, leaving 1 inch of area between them, for two minutes. Flip the scallops (they need to flip simply, in any other case they may want extra cooking time) and cook dinner till golden brown and opaque sides, about 2-3 minutes longer.
- Whereas the scallops are cooking, place the butter and honey in a small bowl and warmth within the microwave till melted, about 30 seconds. Whisk to mix.
- Drizzle honey butter over the scallops and serve with pumpkin puree, polenta, semolina or rice.
- The scallops cook dinner rapidly, so control them till they’re golden brown and all sides are opaque. It is best to keep away from overcooking the scallops, as this dries them out and makes them chewier.
- You’ll want to pat the scallops dry earlier than making use of the blackened spices. Absorbing extra moisture will assist the blackened batter follow the scallops and crisp up as they cook dinner.
- The blackened seasoning might be made forward and saved in an hermetic container at room temperature. Leftover scallops might be saved within the fridge for as much as 3 days.
- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Time to cook dinner: 5 minutes
- Class: Dinner
- Technique: blackened
- Kitchen: cajun
Key phrases: blackened scallops, blackened scallops with honey butter